Tuesday, February 19, 2008

MALAWI

So today I found out some really amazing news! I thought I was going to have to wait for about 10 days to get my official invite in the mail but today when I got home from work, it was waiting for me. With much anticipation, I opened the very large envelope and it said: Malawi!!!!! I am so excited about this placement. Malawi was on the very top of my list as far as hopeful placements and now that I know I am actually leaving, it is all becoming extremely surreal and a little bit scary, mixed with tons of excitement and anxiety about all the things that have to be done before I go. Here are the basics:

Location: Malawi
Job Title: Community Health Coordinator with AIDS/HIV emphasis
Departure Date: May 23rd, 2008

I will leave for either Washington D.C. or Philadelphia on May 23rd and have a very brief "staging" there for 2 days. From there I will fly to Lilongwe, Malawi and do 8 weeks of training (which I understand to be extremely intense). After that is over, I will "officially" be sworn in as a volunteer and will spend 2 years in Malawi either working in a clinic and/or helping the Malawian government with their HIV/AIDS prevention/education/awareness. I am so extremely excited right now.... this whole process is 7 months in the making and I have been looking forward to this day for a long time. I am spending the evening emailing, celebrating and getting ever more nervous about my next adventure.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!!! Congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

Jillian: I 'm so excited for you beyond all words. Congratulations & All the Best for your new endeavor! Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

Jillian dear! I am so beyond excited for you and can't wait to hear all about your adventures there. Thank you for keeping in touch! Send pictures! Love you, Hallie

Unknown said...

Dearest Jillian: Good Luck - Have a great staging in Philly and safe travels from JFK to Malawi.

I will be thinking about you and how much I Love You all the way to your destination in Lilongwe and every day you are in Malawi.

You are my daughter who is near and dear to my heart! I am so proud of you!

It will be the experience of a lifetime for you and I can't wait to hear/read all about your experiences.

I also will see you in your village soon.

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it has already been 3 months since you found out where you'll be living for the next couple of years! That time flew by way too fast! I wish you safe travels and know you'll have wonderful, life-changing experiences there. I can't wait to hear all about it! You are an inspiration to me and I'm going to miss you very much! It is an honor to be a part of your family and to share this adventure with you! Sad to see you go, so please take with you tons of hugs & lots of love ;)
Becca

Anonymous said...

Hi Jillian! I'm currently working on my PC application with hope I'll be doing HIV outreach just like you. I browse the PC blogs from time to time, and yours really stood out to me. I can't wait to read about your experiences, all the best luck to you :)